Despite speculation linking Frenkie de Jong to the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Barcelona and Real Madrid, the midfielder won’t be leaving AFC Ajax in January, according to Marc Overmars.
The 21-year-old was the subject of rumoured €30 million and €50 million transfer bids from Barcelona and Spurs respectively, both of which were turned down by the Eredivisie giants.
Speaking at the Annual Ajax kick-off event, the club’s director of football Marc Overmars confirmed that Barcelona’s bid did not come close to their expectations and stated De Jong would be staying until at least next summer.
“Barcelona did not value De Jong enough,” said Overmars. “Barcelona may return for Frenkie in January, but players will not leave in that period.”
Speaking at the end of last month, the highly-rated De Jong confirmed he would be remaining at the Johan Cruyff Arena, although he would like to join the La Liga champions at some point in the future.
"Maybe someday I’ll join Barcelona, but not this season," he told NOS (via AS ). "I’m staying at Ajax. I think it will be a good year.”
De Jong has dovetailed well with Moroccan star Hakim Ziyech in Ajax’s midfield, and the pair represent the creative hub of the team.
The Amsterdam side will return to Eredivisie action this weekend when they host Groningen on Saturday night, before their opening UEFA Champions League group stage clash at home to AEK Athens next Wednesday.