10:00 12 Aug 2019
Fox Sports Africa takes a closer look at some of the most ‘Famous Firsts’ from Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, National Football League, Eredivisie, EFL Championship and Turkish Super Lig.
– Babe Ruth was the first player to reach 500 home runs in Major League Baseball and set a career home run mark of 714 that stood until 1974.
– The first ‘perfect game’ pitched in Major League Baseball history was by Lee Richmond of the Worcester Worcesters against the Cleveland Blues in June 1880.
Read more: Ex-Ajax star praised for his versatility
– The first goal in Major League Soccer history was scored by Eric Wynalda – it was an 87th minute winner for San Jose Clash over DC United on 6 April 1996.
– DC United were the first Major League Soccer champions, defeating Los Angeles Galaxy 3-2 after extra time in the Cup MLS final on 20 October 1996.
– The first night game in National Football League history saw the Philadelphia Athletics defeat Kanaweola AC in New York on 21 November 1902.
– The first player picked in the first National Football League Draft was Jay Berwanger, University of Chicago Heisman Trophy winner, by the Philadelphia Eagles on 8 February 1936.
– The first Eredivisie season was held in 1956/57 and AFC Ajax won the championship, finishing four points clear of Fortuna ‘54 at the top of the log.
Read more: Watch Union hammer Rooney’s United
– The first (and only) player to score 300 goals in the Eredivisie was forward Willy van der Kuijlen. His overall record of 311 goals from 545 matches is a Dutch record which has stood since 1982.
– The Football League First Division was first named the EFL Championship in the 2004/05 season and it has retained this moniker ever since. Before that, it was also known as Division Two.
– Barnsley were the first team to reach 1000 wins at second-tier level, with their 2-1 EFL Championship victory over Coventry City on 3 January 2011 bringing up the milestone.
– Galatasaray became the first team to win 20 Turkish Super Lig titles when they finished three points ahead of Fenerbahce in the 2014/15 season.
– The first and only player to appear in 500 Turkish Super Lig matches is Oguz Cetin. His career spanned 19 years and saw him appear for Sakaryaspor, Fenerbahce, Istanbulspor and Adanaspor.