what did you miss: fifa looking to expand women’s world cup

06:30    07 Jul 2019

Thembi Kgatlana of South Africa is challenged Sara Doorsoun of Germany during the 2019 FIFA Womens World Cup match between South Africa and Germany on the 17 June 2019 in Stad Mosso, Montpellier , France Pic Sydney Mahlangu/ BackpagePix
With the success of the ongoing 2019 Women’s World Cup, which will wrap up with the final between USA and Netherlands today, FIFA is looking at expanding the competition.

The president of the world football governing body, Gianni Infantino, on Friday revealed his ambition to see the WWC grow from 24 teams to 32 and for the prize money to double to $60million.

Infantino said he would take his proposals to the FIFA council and member associations for approval.

Manchester City sign Rodri

"I want to expand the tournament to 32 teams," the Swiss-Italian told a news conference.

"We will have to act quickly to decide if we are to increase it for 2023, if we do, we should reopen the bidding process to allow everyone to have a chance or maybe co-host. Nothing is impossible."

Infantino hailed the tournament in France as "the best women's World Cup ever" and said it was an opportunity to build on the game worldwide with a number of proposals.

"(I would like to see) a Club World Cup for women starting as soon as possible next year or the year after," Infantino added.

"We need a Club World Cup which can be played even every year to expose clubs from all other the world to make clubs invest even more in women's football to really shine in a world stage which is a real and true Club World Cup."

Infantino also said FIFA would increase its investment in women's football and plan for an international league to help with World Cup qualification.

Atletico accuse Antoine Griezmann and Barcelona of 'disrespect'

Spanish giants Atletico Madrid have accused Antoine Griezmann and Barcelona of 'disrespect.'

Atletico have disclosed that the La Liga champions Barcelona talked to their forward in March 2019 as they looked to sign the French striker.

Griezmann has informed the club of his decision to leave the club in My 2019.

Atletico released the following statement on their website:

Leeds raring to go

"Obviously, the response from Atletico was negative. Understand that both Barcelona and the player have disrespected Atletico and all its fans.

"On 14 May, Antoine Griezmann informed the club of his decision to leave the club at the end of the season.

"In the days following that meeting, Atletico learned that Barcelona and the player had reached an agreement last March, specifically in the days after the second leg of our Champions League tie against Juventus, and had been negotiating the terms of the agreement since mid-February.

"[This is] something we consider violates protected periods of negotiation with players and alters the basic rules that govern the integrity of all sports competition, besides being a huge loss to our club and its millions of fans," a statement read.
 

Related Articles