As he goes in search of motorsport’s ‘Triple Crown’, Fernando Alonso has claimed that he is the best driver in the world.
The Spaniard retired from Formula 1 at the end of 2018, having failed to turn around the fortunes of an uncompetitive McLaren.
Alonso will become only the second driver in history (after Graham Hill) to win the ‘Triple Crown’ of motorsport if he claims victory at the Indianapolis 500 next month.
When asked by Crash.net what motivates him to continue, Alonso said: “To be the best driver in the world, which I think I am.
“I think everyone thinks we are the best, but it’s difficult to prove because especially in Formula 1, unless you are with the right package that season, you cannot prove it.
“I’ve been very competitive for many, many years in Formula 1, luckily enough to win championships. Even my last season was probably the strongest with 21-0 [qualifying record] to my teammate [Stoffel Vandoorne], things that I have never done in my career.
“And now winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans, winning Daytona, winning Sebring, hopefully being competitive in the Indy 500, and some other things that I can do outside maybe the asphalt is something that probably has no precedence in the sport.”
Coutinho rules out Premier League return
Philippe Coutinho has denied any rumours linking him with a return to the English Premier League at the end of the season.
The 26-year-old left Liverpool in January 2018 following prolonged transfer negotiations, but despite having failed to nail down a starting berth in his time at the Camp Nou, Coutinho insists has no plans of returning to England.
He told the Sunday Mirror: "My head is exclusively in Barcelona. Returning to England now does not fit into my plans.
"This is my second season here. I have won titles but I am always an ambitious and demanding player. So, I want more and more.
"But I'm happy. I wanted to play in Spain and I'm at the best club in Spain."
Report have linked the Brazilian with a move to Liverpool's fierce rivals, Manchester United.
In total, Countho has started 19 of Barcelona's 31 LaLiga matches this season. The midfielder has scored 10 goals and assisted a further five in 44 games across all competitions.
Zidane coy on Bale's future
Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane has fuelled rumours linking Gareth Bale with a move away from the club at the end of the season.
Much of the blame for Los Blancos' failures this season has fallen on the shoulders of the Welshman, who has struggled to help fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo.
While much of the criticism directed in the 29-year-old's direction is unfair, this hasn't stopped exit rumours from gaining traction, while Zidane's recent comments won't help the cause.
Real edged Eibar 2-1 on Saturday in another unconvincing Spanish LaLiga display.
Asked if Bale would be at Real Madrid next season, Zidane said: "We'll see, I'm not going to tell you what's going to happen. Gareth is a Real Madrid player, he has two years left on his contract. We will see. It is not the time to talk about this."
Bale, who scored a brace in last year's UEFA Champions League final win over Liverpool, has netted 14 goals in 38 matches across all competitions this season.
Kei Kamara breaks into MLS top five
Former Manchester United winger, Nani, scored twice in a 4-3 win for Orlando City over Colorado Rapids on Saturday.
Rapids' Kei Kamara opened the scoring in Orlando to move up to fifth on the Major League Soccer's all-time scoring list. The Sierra Leone striker's goal, though, could not help curb the club's poor start to the season as they remain winless after six rounds of fixtures.
MLS all-time top scorers (goals):
1. Landon Donovan – 145
2. Chris Wondolowski – 144
3. Jeff Cunningham – 134
4. Jaime Moreno – 133
5. Kei Kamara – 115
6. Ante Razov – 114
7. Jason Kreis – 108
8. Bradley Wright-Phillips – 107
9. Dwayne De Rosario – 104
10. Taylor Twellman – 101