07:30 07 Aug 2019
Carl Frampton has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled fight against Emmanuel Dominguez after breaking his hand.
The 32-year-old suffered the injury in a “freak accident” in the lobby of his US hotel, postponing his first return to the boxing ring since a defeat to Josh Warrington late last year.
In a Twitter post, the Jackal confirmed he was injured when a large onarment in the hotel lobby was knocked over accidentally and hit him on the left hand, “fracturing the 5th metacarpal”.
Read more: Maguire completes United switch
“I’m extremely disappointed for the travelling support and for myself and my team,” Frampton wrote earlier this week.
“I’ve put everything into this camp, I’ve been away from my amazing wife and kids for most of it and it all feels like a waste.”
He added: “Although it was out of my control, I’d like to apologise to Emmanuel, MTK Global, Top Rank, my team, my travelling support and to my wife and kids for being away so long. I’m absolutely devastated.”
Frampton said that he faces four to six weeks out of action and has put ‘close to £30k’ into a training camp.
Read more: Verstappen praises Hamilton for Hungary win
“I haven’t got four to six weeks, have I? The fight’s on Saturday night,” he told Joe.
“People expect you to say this about your training camps being good and perfect but this is the most disciplined I’ve ever been in sparring, listening to instructions, in bag work and everything.
“I’ve just been disciplined and I go and get my hand smashed. It (The ornament) should be nailed to the floor, and it isn’t. You couldn’t make it up.”